Oct 26, 2011

Old Crow Medicine Show & Urban Stacker Chattanooga TN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPLom6s2OtY

Old Crow Medicine Show has a dry run at liquor, hard times, drugs, sex , & alcohol. It isn't your everyday solitude throwback to bluegrass, but they have wrangled dalliances with the Great Emmy Lou Harris in this song We are All in This Thing Together. It has been sung before, by Norah Jones, Benjamin Lee, Carole King. While the page on Ben Lees states "Lyrics by Ben Lee" I find that hard to believe, as Carole sang it 4 years before he was a twinkle in his daddy's eye. She [Ms. King] defers to David Palmer on the lyrics, however I wasn't able to substantiate it.

Getting on with the review, OCMS as they like to shorten it (honestly who wouldn't?) , does a very mournful view on the take that I love, I do wish that some of the symmetry of the two singers Secor & one I couldn't identify outright, I should know them all by know by the overplayment on my car CD player. However we have a shock, a ripple, stemming from Sept-Now with now update. I know there has been some worry about whether or not to let Critter Fuqua return to the band and maybe this is causing a stir. Shortly after a small article "Catching up .......with Old Crow Medicine Show"  Secor hinted that he's been playing with Fuqua since he was a kid and presumed that he would till he was an old man. He did say that he couldn't make Fuqua do anything he didn't want to. There has been a change of producers, it looks like a huge restructuring within OCMS. While they are hot as heck fire, I worry  that one of the 3 outcomes are about to come about. 1) they stay the same and are just take a break with family for the holidays (crossing fingers) 2) Secor splits from the band and recreates a new one including Fuqua perhaps the two alone 3) one or two of the current members splits and new perhaps female vocalist enters the ring. As soon as it the article was printed the plug was pulled. It deserves closer link and look  http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/09/catching-up-with-old-crow-medicine-show.html

I truly hope that they aren't done with their quirky folksy ways, and I would call them closer to Bob Dylan and Ar lo Guthie meets Louisiana than Bluegrass, but I will say this about them they have cajones and are incredibly passionate about their music and their writing and collaborations. I treasure their music as it is fun, flirty, romantic, and guttural.

Now, onto the Blue Cheese of the Day.
Urban Stack  http://urbanstack.com/  My husband had the Chicago Burger that was laced on top with what looked like homemade bologna, pepperocini's,celery mayo,mustard, celery tomato, cherry pepper relish. He ordered it with a side of home fries. His only comment is that it did not come close to a true Chicago Burger but that it was a nice second. Being from Chicago this meant it got some notice, but no closer to his old stomping grounds.

The Asian Q I specified it to be pink. When it came out it wasn't pink but over cooked. the sides were slightly tarnished. I should state that this burger is basted with a BBQ sauce that is in my opinion laced with Marin as a base, filled with a slight tomato sauce then Chinese 5 spice blend. The Wagyu Beef Kobe style, wasabi savoy slaw homemade cucumber kimchee, and hand rub of 5 pepper. I sent it back after carving it open to see it overdone, my guess, was that it being med rare it was lofted to the warmer instead of being sent out or my husbands burger being fully cooked started first. The second one was a delight. I had a serving of potato salad that was a huge disappointment, it was all mayo, mustard, celery salt, egg & potatoes. They had no color or garnishment. It was almost cafeteria style in presentation. Next I had as a side Black eyed Peas & Cucumber while it was refreshing after the lump of potato salad, they were all earthiness and bland, where was the kick and the love that could have gone into this dish?  I do not know, but I will return to try more because regardless of the issues their staff is amazing and the manager quick to handle any incidental problems that may arise.

Happy Trails too you until I blog again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment