May 17, 2012

Nashville Loses the IBMA's.

I am stunned. STUNNED. Like the mother in Mississippi got tasered twice aka "stunned" because she went to check on her baby in her minivan while pulled over by police, I am equally stunned and rendered stupid by the newest revelation that the International Bluegrass Music Association's resolve to move to Raleigh, NC!

They claim it is due to the costs associated with Nashville. While this is ever present in Nashville it isn't for a bad reason. When you visit Nashville expect the costs to be similar to visiting Las Vegas. Yea, you're not going to win at slots, but you do get the chance to be inundated with amazing musical talent ranging from Rock, ska, techno, country, & of course what we go to see: BLUEGRASS. All of which is welcomed with open arms.

In complete curiosity with the competition from Tennessee, I went to the city website. http://www.visitraleigh.com/     Now I don't know about you, but I'm not overly enamored with their wooing of tourism. They do have an area where they show some Tejano music. Whilst some persons can really shimmy to Tejano, I'm not one of them. Being from Phoenix, one would assume I would be able to; and they would be so, so, so, wrong. Even when it's done well, it sounds like drunken caterwauling. The same I feel for ska, death metal, metal, and two other bands: smashing pumpkins and Hole.

While there are things to do, such as kitschy shops, supposedly interesting resteraunts, museums, none of which scream : WE ARE ASSOCIATED WITH MUSIC!! So why the desire to move there? The other "contender" was Louisville, KY and I can actually get behind that train. There are many a song even written in Bluegrass about KY. Blue Moon of Kentucky being one of them.

You have to understand, for me this is actually life altering. I got married the week that it ended so that I could actually have more relatives show up for my wedding in Nashville. It's been a continued pilgrimage and a way to hook up with my relatives ever since.  Now that it's moving to Raleigh, it's in jeopardy for me. Bluegrass and family has always run so deep but the farther east it goes the harder it makes it for my family who lives on the west coast. They don't have a place to go prior or after. Bums me out.

While I don't entirely begrudge the win for the city of Raleigh, I'm not happy with the loss for Nashville. We had the Country Music Hall of Fame, Ryman Theater, Station Inn, not to mention Cooter's Place home of Daisy Duke's Jeep, the General, and the original theme music. For those aficionados.  All I'm saying is there is that not to mention the nickname of the city: MUSIC city. So weird that the Association would pull out of the station when there is money to be made in Nashville. The only way I see them moving is the performers being unhappy with accommodations which are meager for their busses. If this was the case, then for SHAME Nashville.

So ladies and gents, starting 2013 pack your bags for a whole new experience. Without knowing the venue, I'd say pack some sunscreen too, because who knows we might be backpacking it as well!

HEE-HAW!

0 comments:

Post a Comment