Dec 15, 2013

The Road To Boulder

The latest installment of the Infamous Stringdusters in The Road to Boulder and We'll Do It Live shows how much the band, for me, has grown in 5 years. The concert I'd been able to see prior was Fork in the Road in Tacoma, WA. http://music.thestringdusters.com/album/silver-sky

Set at Track 29, Chattanooga got to once again got the opportunity to see Andy Falco, Travis Book, Andy Hall, Jeremy Garrett, and Chris Pandolfi. I'd never been as near as I was to the stage and got to see first hand how the sound they create as a quintet is fed from one set of 2 or 3 to the full five. They break apart to play against each other, but cohesively become part of the same musical machine.

I tried to really break apart and see each of them at their best to scrutinize what they were doing. Here is what I saw:

Travis Book keeps time with his rear. It's totally adorable and I don't think he even knows he's doing it, but there he is, hips swaying to each 3/4 time. Besides being able to both pluck and saw his bass to the needs of each new song that is being played he's clearly matured in several areas. He's become more comfortable with the one instrument that he can't hide behind; his voice. He plays with it, going to gravel in Get it While You Can, showing the blue in bluegrass. I was so pleased that they hadn't lost the jam session sound.

Chris Pandolfi surprised me with his clear leadership. Banjo players are notorious for being the "straight" men of the bluegrass scene. They have the similar intensity that I see in mandolinists. I had some curiosity while watching him play. He had a capo on for the most of the show, he has the technical ability to not have to use them, and he was still amazing sounding, I just wondered why he needed too. Changes in his showmanship from  5 years ago, Mr. Pandolfi rarely spoke, either on stage or off. This time, I saw him dare his fellow Dusters to hold off one more bar, jump in early, and take in some of the duster fans. He seemed to find it amusing at times. One of the things that I truly wish he would do would sing a solo once in a while. Unassuming Pandolfi has a HUGE BASS VOICE.  I don't know if it's distracting to him to both sing and play but I'd love to see more of it showcased.

Jeremy Garrett is clearly the guy who needs a stage. Thank goodness he can play the hell out of a violin and sing like a man afire! Mr. Garrett has always been that voice that made you stand still and listen for a moment then you find yourself an hour later still just listening for "the moment". His body jerks in time madly to his own metronome. What I try to avoid most in writing about musicians is the fingering. Sometimes it's impossible. Garrett makes it hard not too. He's all over his fiddle/violin and owns it. Trying to get a glimpse of him while he's playing can sometimes be difficult to see how he does it technically. His voice is high and slightly reminiscent of a young Del McCoury.

Andy Hall....so much better when you're not sick with food poisoning and playing. He swapped between two different steel guitars, both of which I couldn't tell what brand they were. He was everywhere really enjoying the stage it seemed. You'll have to forgive me as a blogger...Mr. Hall is just fun to watch. His playing on the steel guitar is both meticulous and feverish. He's got this voice that could command several fans to do his bidding should he wish. We drank a few pints prior to the show care of Can'd Aid in benefit for the flooding that happened in and around Mr. Hall's home and community. 

Last but not least is Andy Falco. I have a burning desire to know what kind of guitar, strings, and feedback he's got in his guitar. I have listened to hundreds of guitars over the years. Some are so poor that it makes me hate the instrument for a while. I'm quite sure his cost around the $12K marker, but it has the best sound I've ever heard coming from a guitar. It has perfect pitch, resonance, melodious, and what I call round sound. It's phenomenal for it's ability to really reach a crowd. Not that the other instruments aren't fine, Mr. Hall's steel guitar, Mr. Pandolfi's banjo are almost as distinct as a voice.
My feelings are just that of the 5, Falco destroys the competition with his instrument and his forearms. Anyone else see them? Ridiculous power.

Singly, each of them could go anywhere they wanted too. However, as the Infamous Stringdusters they are a powerhouse. I can't think of one thing that I do as well as each of them do up there by comparison. The Road to Boulder tour has tells to the exhaustion the road has been to them either now or in the past. They miss families and friends and around the holidays it's got to be more than hard to both make home and work.  All the Same says : "When you want me, I'll be here."

For me the last thing I am going to mention is my utter thanks and gratitude to the band for coming to Chattanooga, Tn. I'd love to see them playing at the 3 Sisters Bluegrass Festival. Sadly, it coincides with the weekend after the IBMA's in Raleigh. We lost a lot of players that had normally played the IBMA's from Nashville. The crowd turnout could have been larger, but this area is just starting to get to know Bluegrass and Folk music again. Chattanooga has long had bluegrass ties; Lee Highway Blues was written about our Lee Highway. Norman Blake lives here in Chattanooga, as a recluse who can be found only by those who have the musical ability to reach the genius that Blake is.

We all have our personal tastes about why we love what we love stylistically and musically. For me it has great reminder of my family during the holidays when we'd get together and have jam sessions. I miss it and long for it often. Since I won't be going home for Christmas this year, hearing the I.S. play let me close my eyes and feel that feeling of being home.

Lastly, they closed the show to a Bill Monroe song that brought us to frenzy. I appreciate that they gave nod to the Godfather of Bluegrass. Monroe made it possible to realize bluegrass isn't just the music, but the character of person as well. I don't like the word fan. I don't believe I want to be one. It's short for fanatic, and the connotation is ill. I cherish what the past has offered us and very much want each of our bluegrass boys and girls on the road much happiness and well wishing this season and more.

Merry Christmas from Bluegrass and BlueCheese!

0 comments:

Post a Comment