Dec 8, 2009

Don't Get Above Your Raisin'

It's an old country song that was last made famous by Ricky Skaggs. It talks about people from small towns changing for the benefit of others. It chastises us about reminding us where we are from.

What's wrong with having small town values? It fosters a warm, caring, close knit family style community. One where we may know eachother's issues, but still are willing to help when needed. It's something that Republican and Democrat alike platform on "small town values", one which is hard to believe they all have living in a City like the District of Columbia.

I live in a very small town now. Soddy Daisy. We don't have much here but spirit and spunk....but we are small town americana. We had our first snow day in 3 years the other day. I woke up to my excited husband who couldn't wait to show our 11 month old son the snow. Kids up and down our cul-de-sac were screaming and hollering. Snowmen were being erected and sledding was happening. The pure joy and elation that was heard was so much that you had to get caught up in the moment. My son was pretty non-plussed at the white snow, he held it in his hand and then quickly let it drop repulsed by the chill of it. But it was a moment we were both able to have together as a couple. For now, it's a moment that was brought by a momentary flake from the sky that lasted for almost 3 hours on our ground.

I just got back from a trip to Phoenix, AZ. A place I considered to be my home for many years. Problem is, while I was there I kept longing for the quiet of my Home. I had forgotton the beeping, crazy madness that is a large city. I forgot about the people that will cut you off for being able to get to a light 3 minutes faster only to slam on the brakes and smoke and tap thier hands to the beat of their radio and irritation.

It's taken about 2 years for me to get to the point where I'm not hating it here so much. Matter of fact I'm coming into my own here. I'm a wife & mother something I thought I'd never be able to do. My over all health is getting better. I'm taking time out for me.

Lord, Help me understand, you have a perfect plan here for me, so guide me with your loving hands. -Gold Heart lyric

Blessed are the humble and meek for they will inherit the earth.

Merry Christmas from the thoughts on the top of my head today at the corner of Crass and Stupidity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment