Oct 8, 2011

IBMA 2011

I was initially wed around the time of the IBMA (International Bluegrass Music Awards) with my dads approach that "no one would come unless it was for multiple reasons." So, this year on our 4th anniversary, my husband and I went to Nashville, TN to participate in the 100th year Birthday of Bill Monroe (God Rest His Soul). What surprised me was the people who weren't there that I really felt should have been.

Ricky Skaggs for one should have been there. When Bill died, Ricky was at his bedside, and by default, a large part of the bluegrass was shouldered onto him. Ricky only sent a memo to be read, and I was dissappointed in his lack of committment to the craft he so willingly took up. Neither were the Whites.One of whom Ricky is married too. In the past few years Ricky has been becoming increasing recluse to the IBMA's unless it is the awards. Disapointing as it is the Fans at fanfest that actually carry on the tradtion of Ricky and his life. I feel that he may have had something going on personally with him or his band, but on top of this his music has been lagging as of late as well. He looks unhealthy as well. I think we may be losing him soon too if there isn't a change in him soon too.

There was an Homage to Gary Allan, one that was well deserved, and tearful.His family was in attendance and his music and likeness over the years was played. Most tenderful, though I thought was the Gary Allen Band, with his wife who sang back up. 1/2 through it she started to cry. You could feel the emotion. Last year, Gary had been able to be at the IBMA's, but his heart gave out in March of this year and God took him home.

I got to meet Audie Blaylock and all of Redline. They did have a fill in for the mandolinist but he was like a bottle rocket ready to go off, he just couldn't set still while playing. Jason Grisholm (?) was his name, and he was amazing. Audie himself was the most charming and sweet charismatic person. Could not ask for a better person to really promote bluegrass. Patrick and Russ also were equally fun and interesting. (I crushed on Russ to be honest-banjo) I was so thrilled that I got the whole band's autographs and got to speak with them. Wonderful group of men.

My husband was bored I think, but he perked up when the Steeldrivers came on after an amazing perfomance by Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas. Now, if you don't know them; you really should take the time on both bands. AKUS has Alison Krauss, Dan Tyminski, Barry Bales, & Ron Block. Sometimes Jerry Douglass on flattop when he shows. The other interesting thing is Dan Tyminski produced Alisons first album before she was AKUS  with these guys. She still was a stand out of the crowd player and singer. I've always wondered how they all met up. Dan is a Joker, Alison can be silly and playful yet shy, Barry is an avid hunter, and then Ron Block who is a philosopher. The people behind the instruments are almost as interesting as when they play together. They recieved one standing ovation at the Fanfest, well deserved. Alison sang Down to the River to Pray from Oh Brother where Art Thou. I had the delight to meet Ron Block  (www.RonBlock.com)  who truly has so much to say but says so little. He intrigues me. I found him hiding behind the band's insturments in the corner of the lobby like a bum with his apple computer dodging groupies like me. As I've been following them for almost 20 years, I couldn't walk away. I got the man's autograph. Mission Impossible for me! Yay. I can check seeing them live off my bucket list. I hope to see them again, because it was a circular moment for me.

Steeldrivers just had a new Male Vocalist change up. Chris Case has left the band to stay behind in Austin TX to be with his family. While the new guy is doing his best to fill in shoes and do imitations, it is reflecting in his vocals. He's straining to keep up the natural grit that Hall had naturally. I was disapointed to have missed seeing Hall perform. The new Steeldrivers CD is fantastic. It is worth the buy or listen if you have never heard either. To give a listen go to www.steeldrivers.net to get an intro to who is who, because you will not tire of a new way of music. Having a soulful sound of the Alman Brothers mixed with backwoods desire and talented musicianship on mandolin, violin, banjo, & guitar these 4 can rip it up or tear it down. Do not get me wrong, the new guy Gary, is amazing. He also brings a sex appeal to the band too. He is young, dark and handsome, so there will be the rush to see him as well as Tammy. The M & M's (Mike Henderson & Mike Fleming) leave a lot to be desired in talking with them. It may just be that they were tired of the day, who wouldn't be after their performance. I did like the banjo player Richard Bailey, who was genuine and unassuming. I hope to see each of them do well again on their next promotional CD and perhaps they will come to Chattanooga for Riverbend or the 3 Sisters Bluegrass show.

The Cleverlys were the last band on Saturday night that was a hit. They are coming out with a website and a CD but currently you can see their performances on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-x88h7xAv8  This song is called I want to be a billionaire, and honey, doesn't it reflect how we all feel in this economy? They have a fun way of getting the crowd going and had 3 standing ovations at the end of the night....making the IBMA's "grass out" till almost 2. Who says us "blue" hairs can't handle the fun?

Last but not least, comes the food. We ate at Jacks BBQ on 6th street. By 10 pm it was still swamped with customers and the Beef brisket was out, but the smoke and char wasn't. I'll say this for them, they have a perfect delivery system. I would say that their shining star is the meats, not the sides. They have excellent sauces, even a white bbq sauce which was a first for me. Soul food for me in the south has met me a northerner with mixed bag emotions. I find that a lot of the time it is over cooked. I find this to be the case with Jacks sides. Collard greens might has well been made a smoothie, the corn from a can, the mac and cheese; The noodles were so overdone that they were paste... but the meat, was happiness. While many celebrities grace thier walls, I pray they came only for the meat. Jacks gets 2 stars **

0 comments:

Post a Comment